post upgrade vRA 7 orchestrator endpoint won’t connect

I upgraded vCAC 6.2 to vRA 7 the other day. Everything looked good until I tested some blueprints which call custom workflows configured in the embedded Orchestrator.

I had my endpoint configured as per the documentation, listed here:-

http://pubs.vmware.com/vra-70/topic/com.vmware.vrealize.automation.doc/GUID-9E9E2393-A268-432C-B9EA-2CBEFA25361B.html#GUID-9E9E2393-A268-432C-B9EA-2CBEFA25361B

You can test if your Endpoint is working or not by either running a refresh or checking the logs. To force the endpoint to run a data collection login to vCAC as a Infrastructure Admin and go to Infrastructure > Endpoints > Endpoints, then select Data Collection and click Start to force a data collection run.vRA_7_Orchestrator_Problems_1

To check the logs go Infrastructure > Monitoring > Log and filter on Message for “endpoint”:-vRA_7_Orchestrator_Problems_2

As you can see I am getting the following error:-

Endpoint Data Collection failed for endpoint vCO-Embedded [Workflow Instance Id=588727]
Unable to connect to the remote server
Inner Exception: Unable to connect to the remote server

I checked the DEM log on my IaaS server. By default the logs can be found here:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\vCAC\Distributed Execution Manager\<DEM Worker>\Logs

And found the following errors:-

Endpoint Data Collection failed for endpoint vCO-Embedded [Workflow Instance Id=588727]
System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server —> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 172.22.4.61:8281

I tried a telnet from the IaaS machine and there is no connection available on port 8281.  So a quick check with the client via:-

https://<vcac app fqdn>/vco/client/client.jnlp

and you are presented with the auto filled java client session, which points at 443 rather than 8281:-

vRA_7_Orchestrator_Problems_4

So I edited the Endpoint, removed 8281 and ran the Data Collection again and it now works fine!

Conclusion

At the time of writing it looks like the VMware documentation is out of date but in short remove 8281 from your endpoint for the Embedded vCO and it should work fine.

I’ve left all the working out gumpf in this post on the off chance it helps others…..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *